Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AB tera kya hoga, Basu?

mattayi
    mattayi

Male
    Number of posts : 4847
    Top poster :
    AB tera kya hoga, Basu? Left_bar_bleue80 / 10080 / 100AB tera kya hoga, Basu? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-11-02

AB tera kya hoga, Basu? Empty AB tera kya hoga, Basu?

Post by mattayi Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:29 am

AB tera kya hoga, Basu? Author: Amul Sharma Date: 23 Apr 2008

Anurag Basu doesn’t want to watch any of Amitabh Bachchan’s recent films for fear of degrading the image he carries of the superstar

I think the whole magic of Amitji has gone now. I think he should gracefully retire I took no one’s advice when I wanted to enter the film industry and shall take no one’s advice about when I should leave it.

Director Anurag Basu (Gangster, Murder and Metro) is not known for making controversial statements, so one has to wonder what provoked him to say uncomplimentary things about of B-Town’s biggest superstar Amitabh Bachchan.

Excerpts from Anurag Basu’s Stardust interview, ad verbatim, “Sometimes, people ask me who is the actor I would like to work with; and everybody expects Amitji’s name as my reply. I have been a huge fan of Amitji; the reason why I am a part of Bollywood. I’ve grown up watching his films.” He further adds, “I think the whole magic of Amitji has gone now. I think he should gracefully retire.

According to me, he has become a little mechanical since quite some time. There are many films which I wonder why he did. I understand that a man of his stature must have had his own reasons for doing such films but I still prefer to watch Kaala Patthar, Majboor and his other brillant films a hundred times than watching Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag. I am scared of watching any of his forthcoming films because I don’t want to degrade his image that I’ve carried in my mind for so many years.”

Here’s what Amitabh Bachchan had to say in reply to Anurag Basu’s comments: “I took no one’s advice when I wanted to enter the film industry and shall take no one’s advice, as to when I should leave it! After the release of Laawaris in the late ’70s-early ’80s I think, a queen of film journalism, may God rest her soul in peace, had loudly proclaimed that ‘The sun of Amitabh Bachchan has begun to set.’

In the mid ’80s to the ’90s, a prominent national weekly did a cover on me titled ‘Finished!’ Around 2000, a prominent and acclaimed filmmaker declared, much like Mr Anurag Basu, that it was time to put the last nail in the coffin of Mr Bachchan and give him a decent burial.

The honorable lady journalist has since passed away, the weekly has shut down and the acclaimed maker has stopped directing! I hope and pray that similar fate does not engulf Mr Anurag Basu, for my colleagues inform me that he is a director of great talent and promise!”

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 6:16 am