Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VS threatens to protest outside PM's house

nishaajith
    nishaajith

Number of posts : 2910
    Who is Your Best Actor : Prithviraj
    Top poster :
    VS threatens to protest outside PM's house Left_bar_bleue99 / 10099 / 100VS threatens to protest outside PM's house Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-11-14

VS threatens to protest outside PM's house Empty VS threatens to protest outside PM's house

Post by nishaajith Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:43 am

Image hosted by servimg.comWayanad (Kerala): Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan on Sunday threatened to protest in front of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's residence along with his Cabinet and Central ministers from Kerala if New Delhi did not help the state overcome economic losses caused by heavy rains.

"The recent damage to the state on account of natural calamities is more than Rs.15 billion. So far the central government has not done anything. All what happens is the central team comes, enjoys the hospitality and returns. If this is going to be repeated I will lead my cabinet and sit in protest in front of the prime minister's residence in Delhi," Achuthanandan told reporters.

In the last two weeks, heavy monsoon rains have claimed 206 lives, damaged nearly 50,000 homes and destroyed crops in the state.

Former chief minister Oomen Chandy dubbed Achuthananadan's protest threat a ploy to cover up the lapses by his government.

"The rules are very clear regarding central assistance and it stipulates that the Finance Commission gives assistance to every state every year irrespective of whether there is a natural calamity or not. The responsibility of the state government is to provide a certificate regarding the utilization of the funds.

"I am informed that Achuthanandan's government had not provided this utilization certificate till a week back. This (the threat) is just a gimmick by him to divert his failures," Chandy said.

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 2:57 am